The I&C Area Engineer provides technical support to operations and maintenance in their assigned area on the refinery's instrumentation and controls (I&C) assets, manages maintenance projects and supports small capital projects as needed. This position requires a proven problem solver and equipment owner serving as a technical resource for the instrument and controls infrastructure.
Responsibilities May Include
• Participating and promoting all aspects of refinery safety programs.
• Visibly demonstrating commitment to the workplace safety and health of employees and contractors through personal engagement and sound decisions.
• Initiating/Managing and/or evaluating management of changes (MOC).
• Reviewing and/or developing Instrument design packages for projects.
• Providing routine maintenance engineering and troubleshooting support for instrumentation and analyzers. The instrument asset base includes field measurement sensors, transmitters, analyzers, control valves and automated on/off valves.
• Provide turnaround support for assigned area, developing engineering and design packages, reviewing/approving specifications and supporting field construction through commissioning and startup.
• Consistently designing and implementing solutions for bad actors and continuous improvement to drive reliability and asset improvements.
• Supporting documentation systems and processes that maintain accurate I&C equipment information and drawings.
• Performing and/or participating in Criticality Analysis for instrumentation and maintaining the criticality ranking for this equipment.
• Identifying equipment problems and recommending appropriate measures to control, manage and correct issues.
• Recommending material upgrades or changes as the situation and conditions warrant.
• Participating in Process Hazards Analyses for refinery process units.
• Designing, recommending, and implementing new equipment solutions where justified.
• Serving as a technical resource to properly identify new and existing equipment specifications and proper operating parameters/ranges for I&C equipment.
• Utilizing Life Cycle Cost and Risk Analysis processes to assist with repair vs. replace decisions and infrastructure project needs.
• Developing capital and expense budget requirements related to I&C system upgrades, PM programs, repairs, expansions, etc.
• Participating in lifecycle management and improvement for Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS).
• Leading and/or participating on Root Cause Analysis teams to investigating significant reliability and/or safety related events associated with instrumentation and controls failures.
• Evaluating and recommending improvements to spares inventory and storage solutions.
• Participating in knowledge share with other sites within the company by serving as a member in the instrumentation network.
• Effectively communicating and engaging with other functional groups at all levels from craft persons and operators to refinery leadership.
• Legally authorized to work in the job posting country.
• Valid Driver’s license.
• Bachelor's Degree or higher in Electrical, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited program.
• 7 or more years of experience .
• Working knowledge of IEC, ISA, and API codes and standards.
• Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Ability to work extended shifts and respond to after-hours call outs.
• Demonstrates strong problem-solving skills.
• Strong technical knowledge and ability to apply practical solutions in the field.
• Accepts ownership, is accountable and delivers on commitments.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• 12 or more years of instrumentation experience within an industrial environment.
• Experience maintaining instrument systems and analyzers.
• Working knowledge of Safety Instrumented Systems.
• Professional Engineering License.