Project Contract Specialist will be responsible for the bidding, evaluation, negotiation, execution, management, and closeout of service and goods contracts requirements for the Rodeo Renewed Project. This role is based at the refinery during project construction. The contract specialist will interface daily with the project construction team and field resources to manage construction contracts already in execution and support the daily needs of the project management team. The managing supervisor is located in Houston, therefore the contract specialist must be self-driven and able to seek out guidance and work direction as necessary to stay productive. The position requires close coordination with the Site Manager and other senior project team leadership on a daily basis in a fast-paced construction site environment.
Essential Functions / Key Accountabilities
• Executes all components of the contracting processes (contract strategy development, negotiations, T&Cs, implementation, maintenance and monitoring, etc.).
• Develops sound, fit for purpose contracts of the highest standard, and to the schedule requirements of the business.
• Works with project resources to ensure Scopes of Work (SOW) clearly outline what is needed by the business and can be delivered on time by the vendor.
• Complies with Procurement Policy, Internal Control Standards, and Contracting Processes and Standards.
• Strives to achieve all aspects of contracts excellence: planning, solicitation, development, negotiation, execution and operationalization.
• Applies knowledge of commercial contract law and P66 guidelines, practices and requirements to develop appropriate terms and conditions.
• Work seamlessly with the material management and warehousing team members
• Utilizes approved client contract templates when possible and engages clause owners when required.
• Develops master agreements, contract service call-offs, amendments, and contract addendums.
• Ensures alignment between Master Services Agreements and the sub-agreements governed by them.
• Maintains appropriate contract files in accordance with document retention policy and supports required audit activity.
• Drives formal RFx (requests for information, proposals or quotes). Performs pre-bid and pre-award meetings. Analyzes suitability of bids dependent on time constraints, cost, safety and quality assurance. Prepares bid evaluations and seeks appropriate approvals of awards.
• Develops and incorporates advanced contracting strategies as appropriate, including most effective compensation structure (T&M, Cost Plus Fixed Fee, Lump sum, Unit Based, etc.), potential incentive/liquidated damages, and other potential commercial levers.
• Keep accurate project records of all important discussions and meetings with various contractors, supports consultation regarding post-award contract claims and disputes.
• As required, resolves issues (pricing, quality, timing, claims, liens, etc.) associated with purchase agreements and deliverables.
• Works with Legal to ensure compliance with all client requirements and legal statutes.
• Be the thinking partner for other senior project leadership team members
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, Engineering, or relevant discipline.
• Master’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, or relevant discipline (Preferred).
• 5-10 years of relevant experience in forming and administering large multi-million dollars oil & gas projects construction contracts with various compensation structures
• Knowledge or firsthand experience with refinery, chemical plant or midstream work processes (Preferred).
• Background in construction, construction management, or contractor management (Preferred)
Required Skills / Competencies
• Strong knowledge of Contract Management processes and tools. Understanding "what great looks like".
• Strong commercial acumen with demonstrated competency in sourcing and contracting practices.
• Advanced contract drafting skills.
• Proven procurement technical skills in the development and execution of negotiation strategies as well as contract implementation planning & execution.
• Proven self-motivator who sets clear direction and priorities.
• Strong analytical, fact-based problem-solving skills.
• Effective communicator with good presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate and influence third parties such as suppliers, governmental organizations and partners.
• Knowledge of commercial frameworks and contract terms & conditions.
• Demonstrated negotiation skills & ability to effectively apply analytical tools, concepts and methods.
• Ability to understand user needs, interact with the businesses and provide alternative solutions.
• Working knowledge of Commercial Contract Law and its use in establishing procurement contracts and negotiating settlements.
• Strong project management skills with the ability to establish priorities and manage to planned outcomes.
• Demonstrated relentless drive and determination to achieve success.
• Ability to coordinate multiple activities, prioritize tasks, and respond quickly to stakeholders.
• Ability to manage organization and behavioral change in complex environments.
• Fosters effective teamwork and collaboration.
• Demonstrated ability to develop wide and diverse networks.
• Passion for continuous improvement.
• Demonstrated ethical integrity.
• Ability to work in a construction site environment
• Working knowledge of SAP and other procurement technologies (e.g., e-Sourcing, contract lifecycle management, SRPM) (Preferred).