Project Controls Lead
The Project Controls Lead reports to the Study Director and is responsible for completion of tasks, under direction of the Study Director, associated with the planning, tracking, reporting, monitoring and self-performance of project controls activities assuring that the overall program study requirements are met in accordance with the Clients project study framework
- Liaise with project resources through the study cycle, coordination and administration of project controls deliverables, utilizing the Client's standards specific to the phase of the project.
- Assist in the completion of regular performance reviews and assessments to track progress to plan and provide accurate progress updates to Client's Management, specifically earned value of work completed and forecasted, forecasted future financial outflows for financial year planning.
- Aid generation of regular (monthly, quarterly, yearly) progress reports and portfolio updates with respect to the planning & estimating function as may be required by the Client project management office and finance department.
- Provide subject matter advice with regards to project controls deliverables, in accordance with the specific study phase criteria contained within Client’s project processes, to support project investment cases.
- Key areas of focus for the Project Controls Lead include:
- Coordinates the development of the Li Studies program schedule, agrees strategies and systems for a program/project of major and asset level capital projects.
- Provides scheduling expertise and coordinates resources deployed into a study or delivery team for the development of scheduling related deliverables.
- Provides implementation contractors with requirements for format, timing, and content of schedule reporting.
- Ensure that schedules (both directly & indirectly managed) meet the Capital Projects standards
- Provides focal point for addressing schedule and project issues escalating when needed in a timely manner.
- Coordinates the development of a schedule covering agreed scope, forecasting activities to project completion, including owner’s and contractors rolled up activities for a project or program’s scope of work.
- Manages schedule data and monitors implementation contractors schedule function, ensuring that schedule data is delivered, checked and incorporated into the master schedule in a timely manner.
- Monitors the development and implementation of the Project forecast dates in conjunction with the Project Director so that schedule slippage can be monitored and the effects minimised.
- Responsible to produce the overall Project cost reporting inclusive of budgets, actuals, commitments, accruals, trends, variances and final forecasts assessment on all Project cost activities.
- Prepare cost and schedule inputs to the Annual Operating Plan (AOP) and overall budgeting and reporting processes.
- Provides schedule change/trend management advice to the Studies team for the Project Management of Change process.
- Assists and coordinates with procurement on the processing of project invoices and commercial change management and claims. Identifies any discrepancies in Contractor payment and works to resolve any issues to timely payment for goods or services received.
- Interfaces with the Clients Finance, Accounting and Supply Chain Management teams on all project matters associated with cost engineering activities, invoice processing and commitment management & forecasting.
- Works with Contractor personnel on cost engineering, reporting and invoicing activities per agreed contract terms and scope of work.
- Participates in Project cost & schedule risk assessment (CSRA) workshops, assisting with the modelling of the Project’s cost outcome and facilitate the ongoing implementation of a project-wide change and contingency management process.
- Supports the review and evaluation of project cost related information of the tender submissions for each project phase.
Candidate will be a high energy, collaborative individual who aspires to find creative ways to solve problems, answer questions, and always improve processes.
Work Experience / Technical Skill Requirements
- Ten or more years of progressive experience in varying cost engineering & planning capacities on large capital projects ($150M+).
- Extensive experience in all aspects of cost engineering during detailed engineering, procurement, construction, and commissioning phases of a large capital project.
- Expert, hands-on knowledge of SAP including project costing modules.
- Excellent communication skills with a demonstrated ability to understand technical information and communicate progress to both technical and management level personnel.
- Exceptional reporting and presentation skills with good attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work with project teams to influence and achieve desired results.
- Proficiency in project controls tools and work processes: Earned Value, MS Office (spreadsheets, word processing, presentations, graphics) and typical project controls tools and systems such as Power BI, SAP, Excel, Primavera (P6), Cleopatra (or like estimating and cost management software), Milestone Pro, project reporting dashboard, etc.
- Mining and minerals processing experience would be viewed favorably.
Education / Qualification Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Industrial Engineering, Business Management or related technical field.
Perth or Bunbury