Lead Owner Engineering and technical project development for the site capital project portfolio support the US Lithium Global Business Unit (GBU). Collaborate with manufacturing, commercial, R&D, and process technology (PT) stakeholders to develop front-end engineering packages for further development by third party engineering service providers. Manage and lead a team of onsite engineers to oversee detailed engineering by internal and external professionals during define and execute project stages.
Additionally, manage assigned capital projects to achieve project goals on scope, quality, safety, cost and schedule. Candidate must be highly motivated to manage and execute multiple projects from concept through start-up with a cross functional team.
Subject Matter Expertise:
- Responsible for all project technical deliverables, either developed internally or by approved 3rd party engineering service providers, ensuring adequate front-end engineering and scope development, along with overseeing the detailed design efforts to meet project requirements
- Ensures the accuracy of design information – according to corporate specifications and standards - whether done by Albemarle personnel or by outside contractors prior to being issued for design/construction
- Develop project engineering plans, manage issues and risks, drive issue resolution, direct resources to deliver successful projects
- Lead and manage both internal and external engineering resources to ensure project success
- Ensure adequate engineering tracking and reporting controls are established to evaluate the project’s progress and schedule performance. Works with project management as well as contracting & procurement to ensure requirements are included in commercial documents.
- Where appropriate, ensures 3D models are integrated with project control tools for measurement and reporting.
- Track and communicate engineering status and key milestones to internal (GBU) project stakeholders, and adjust project plans, budget requests and/or resources as required to meet project requirements
- Research, interpret, and ensure compliance with regulatory and design codes and standards. Maintains awareness of changing requirements and considers in engineering designs.
- Review technical feasibility of proposed solutions to engineering problems. Ensures constructability reviews are used in project phases to validate the completeness and operability of designs.
- In coordination with project managers, leads the development of the design basis for all project technical disciplines.
- Leads the conceptual and front-end engineering design efforts, utilizing approved engineering service providers where needed, for capital projects that will be used to obtain funding and project approval
- Provides assistance in overseeing construction efforts and assist with any troubleshooting or problem solving required to meet the design intent
- Verifies drawings and design details of existing facility are up to date and all field modifications made during construction are accurately documented and released back to manufacturing in a timely manner.
- Communicates directly with outside equipment and material vendors to specify, obtain quotes, and follow up on purchases of equipment and services.
- Ensures teams (internal and external) review and revise engineering specifications and standards as required by supervision or as needed to ensure compliance with industry and regulatory requirements
- Develops or enhances project tools and engineering guidelines used to standardize engineering design parameters and processes across multiple sites
- Participates in HSE reviews, permit audits and housekeeping inspections. Ensures that process hazard analysis open/action items are adequately addressed in engineering deliverables prior to full project funding
Project Management Responsibilities:
- Work with cross functional team to define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with stakeholders; including meetings, setting of priorities, evaluating comments/requests and ensuring stakeholder’s approval.
- Manage and drive the completion of multiple concurrent capital projects
- Maintain quality and timeliness of safety activities and deliverables throughout the project delivery process.
- Coordinate resource requirements with other ongoing project work and ensure all stakeholder expectations are aligned.
- Lead project team in generation and review of engineering technical documents.
- Identify and manage scope changes through the project change order system.
- Ensure compliance with company procedures and project documentation requirements.
- Implementation of project controls and cost forecasting.
- Develop cost estimates and control to approved budgets
- Develop schedules and control them to meet approved timelines
- Manage and communicate effectively on project risks
- Execute, coordinate, and manage field construction, commissioning and start-up activities
- Provide routing project updates and reporting to site/corporate leadership
- Work with procurement team to develop contracting strategies and manage capital purchases
- Maintain effective communication throughout the project life cycle
- Work effectively with internal and external customers to meet project objectives
Business, Function and Team Leadership:
- Maintains constant vigilance for personal and surrounding worker safety, communicates unsafe conditions immediately, and provides direction as needed to ensure construction and design are performed in a safe and injury free manner during performance of daily tasks.
- Display and champion the Client Core Values on the project team
- Consult extensively with internal and external project team members, with a high degree of reliance placed on scientific interpretation and advice.
- Initiate and maintain extensive contact with key engineering management professionals of other professional organizations and companies.
- Influence management on strategic technical direction.
- Effectively advise the business on applicable technology and innovation in the field of engineering management and control.
- Mentor engineering staff on technical and business aspects of projects.
- Negotiate critical and controversial issues with top-level leaders and managers.
- 10 or more years of experience in a petrochemical or similar industrial environment
- Minimum of 5 years working as an engineering/technical lead in a petrochemical or industrial manufacturing environment with progressive demonstration of experience on executing capital projects. It is preferred that the experience is a mix of time in office as well as time in a plant or manufacturing environment.
- Minimum 5 years of project management experience in an Owner organization
- Minimum 5 years of management or supervisory experience in an Owner organization
- Extensive in-depth knowledge of P&ID’s, mechanical, civil/structural/architectural, electrical, instrumentation and controls designs and drawings
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and or 2D and 3D modeling tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate with senior level leadership within an organization.
- Must pay close attention to details, follow high standards for accuracy and completeness, and accept constructive criticism from coworkers.
- Effective at working with other staff members and plant personnel in a fast-paced environment.
- Works effectively within a project stage-gate system environment including essential success factors for early phase and execution projects
- Demonstrated knowledge of the ability to read, understand, and modify or develop project technical documentation across all technical disciplines
- Must be able to solve problems quickly, completely, accurately, and to the satisfaction of all parties involved.
- Knowledge of a variety of project contracting strategies
- Ability to supervise internal and external multi-disciplined teams
- Knowledge of project controls, including estimating, scheduling, risk management, and cost control. Proficient at developing, interpreting, and evaluating project and technical reports including those used during detailed engineering
- Demonstrated ability to work with project construction professionals to deploy and utilize constructability reviews during all project phases of development
- High level of ownership with assigned projects
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from an accredited university (Chemical or Mechanical preferred).
- Professional Engineering (PE) license is a plus